I found this tag floating around online and went through a rabbit hole of trying to figure out where it originated. I believe this tag was started by Sam’s Nonsense as a booktube. Either way, it looked fun. If YOU are reading this, consider yourself tagged!
(Fun fact, the Nintendo company (est in 1889!) was largely kept in business by the Yakuza. The Japanese government wanted to clamp down on gambling, so created a new kind of playing card called ‘Flower Cards’ which were produced by Nintendo)
1) NES (Nintendo Entertainment System): A classic you want to read.
Don Quixote or The Old Man and the Sea.
2) SNES (Super Nintendo): A sequel you liked more than the 1st.
I liked Dance Dance Dance more than Wind/Pinball by Haruki Murakami, but those aren’t so much sequels as they are set in the same world.
3) Nintendo 64: A book that revolutionized the way you look at the world.
So many! The Joy of Less by Francine Jay. No Logo by Naomi Klein. King Leopold’s Ghost by Adam Hoschchild.
4) Gamecube: A popular book that did not go over so well with you.
Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer.
5) Wii: A new favorite book.
I’m only halfway through Norwegian Wood, but it’s already becoming a favorite!
6) Nintendo Power: Favorite Graphic novel series or a series you want to start.
I recently got excited about Afterlife With Archie, and have since pre-ordered Jughead: The Hunger.
7) Super Mario: A Character that you’d love to squish like a Goomba.
The biologist from Annihilation.
8) Zelda: A newer fantasy that you consider to be a modern classic.
I don’t really read fantasy anymore, but I think Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance has put Ruth Emmie Lang on the map as a writer to look out for.
9) Samas-Aran: Favorite Sci-fi novel or one you want to read.
I couldn’t possibly pick a single favorite sci-fi novel but Cixin Liu’s Three-Body Problem is great and I am excited to read it’s sequels.
10) Pokemon: Book editions that you want to collect.
In hardback the Discworld Collectors Library Edition and Waterstones Clothbound Classics. Probably my favorite paperback covers are the ones that Noma Bar did for Haruki Murakami’s novels.
11) Donkey Kong: A book with original characters.
Becky Chambers The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet created the best new characters I have read in a long time.
12) Nintendo Fandom: Favorite Nintendo game(s) or game you really want.
Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Everyone is talking about it but I don’t have a Switch, and won’t be getting one.